The Sky Islands: Santa Catalina MountainsI spent Saturday exploring Mt. Lemmon and the Santa Catalina Mountains. For all the facts on Mt. Lemmon, check out this Wikipedia article. For a vain attempt to express the beauty of these unusual forests in words and images, read on.
Stop. Take a few deep breaths, and feel alive. This may be the closest to flying I'll ever feel.
The view from the top: Many mountain vistas provide a seemingly endless view with an awesome, expansive sky.
Above: A man looks down at Catalina Highway far below. Catalina Highway is a winding alpine route that is a driving delight. For the trepid motorists, there are pleanty of turn-outs and view points perfect for unwinding.
- For the Coronado National Forest Service site on Catalina Highway, including a map, click here.
- Info on the southernmost ski site in the US can be found here.
- Get the weather at Mt. Lemmon at Weather Underground.
- Stop by this site for useful numbers for Mt. Lemmon conditions.
- For a campground guide, visit this Coronado National Forest site.